How Was "Kohl's" Named?
Max Kohl built a grocery store in 1946, the first in what would become a southeastern Wisconsin chain known as Kohl's Food Stores. In 1962, he started his first department store, also called Kohl's.
In 1972 the British-American Tobacco Company bought the department stores and grocery stores. The Kohl family, led by Allen and Herb Kohl, stayed on to manage the company. The family left the management in 1979, and Herb Kohl went on to become a United States Senator and owner of the Milwaukee Bucks. This firm expanded Kohl's presence from 10 to 39 stores in Wisconsin, Illinois and Indiana. The grocery stores were eventually sold to A&P in 1983, but the last of them were later closed in 2003.
Technorati Tags: Kohl's, Department Store, Store, Shop, Fun, History, Trivia
â¢ BlinkBits â¢ BlinkList â¢ Blogmarks â¢ Buddymarks â¢ CiteUlike
â¢ Connotea â¢ del.icio.us â¢ de.lirio.us â¢ Digg it â¢ FeedMarker
â¢ feedmelinks â¢ Furl â¢ Give a Link â¢ Gravee â¢ igooi
â¢ Lilisto â¢ Linkagogo â¢ Linkroll â¢ ma.gnolia â¢ Maple.nu
â¢ Netvouz â¢ Onlywire â¢ RawSugar â¢ reddit â¢ Scuttle
â¢ Shadows â¢ Simpy â¢ Spurl â¢ tagtooga â¢ TalkDigger
â¢ Wink â¢ Yahoo MyWeb